Friday, March 9, 2012

Grandma!

I have a grandma. I call her mata. She does not remember when she was born and hence its tough to calculate her age. But as per my estimate, she is somewhere in her eighties.

One night when I was at home, it was around 1'o clock when I was watching a movie in the living room. Right next to the living is mata's room. It was earlier in the newly extended part of the living room. I could hear her voice from the room. She was kind of whining somehow. I went upto her and she needed help. She gets this thing which is called pitti uchalana in hindi, in which you get red spots on the body and you feel like itching.It was on the side of the stomach this time. She clould not sleep because of that. What made it worse was that because of the paralysis attack that she sufferred about a decade back, she is unable to move her hands freely. This restriction sometimes  does not allow her to itch herself when its at places like the back or close to the back. I applied some coconut oil as she directed me to. While I was doing that, she was praying to God to take her away. I had tears in my eyes. I was helpless. Mom told me that grandma could not sleep the entire night because of that.
Can misery be controlled? 

1 comment:

  1. I hope God is kind to your grandmom - whatever form kindness might take. Through your stories, I have fallen in love with your grandmom.

    ReplyDelete